Friday, March 22, 2013

The Tale of the Raines Family

In my first excursion in to tabletop roleplaying games. I was filling in as a needed charsimatic hero on a friend's D20 modern campaign. It took me a while to pick everything and figure out how to play but I built my character. The only thing left to do was pick the name. Now, I put a lot of thought in to my character's name (despite it almost never being used by the people I play with) and it took  me a while to come up with. Finally I decided to name him Claude Raines after the invisible man himself. I thought this fitting for a charismatic character with the occupation of "Celebrity". I was only able to play a few sessions with this character but I got hooked on these types of games.

The next semester I made a new character for my roommate's game set in a city as it experiences a zombie outbreak (interpersonal conflicts sadly derailed this game). I made my character a former weatherman (and charismatic hero) named Stormy Raines. From now on, all of my characters would be members of the Raines family. It quickly become a running gag and when a friend started up a high fantasy Pathfinder game I knew that my character would be an Ancestor of my modern characters.

Jim Raines the Wise (Wisdom was his lowest stat), the half-elf bard, ladies-man and guy who htes elves and drinks way too much began his journey here. The game was based off of the Red Hand of Doom module but had a lot of variations. There are lots of stories to be told here but we will skip most for now. In a small town in the campaign, we had a series of talks with the town council in which I jokingly tried to convince them to rename the town, "Rainestown" after me. The DM said to roll so I did and rolled a natural 20. The adventure continued and I eventually finished with the Great Jim Raines.

The next campaign was set with new characters in a new area and had nothing to do with the previous one. however, I added some backstory to my new character and to my last. Jim Raines eventually went back to Rainestown and over time a religion formed around him as the legendary slayer of a lich. This occurred after he went to face the trial of the Starstone (test to become a god) and never came back. No one was sure if he succeeded or not but a bountiful harvest that year led many to believe he had. Skip forward a few generations and an Aasimar was born. He was a descendant of Jim Raines and proved to many that their religion was right and it began to spread. This Aasimar was named Emilio du Francisco Von Raines and he grew up a devout believer but hated the attention. He eventually left town and trained to be a ninja. This became my new character for the next campaign.

Now I have just begun a new D20 modern campaign with urban arcana and my first non-charisma based hero. She is a Techno-Mage named Summer Raines and she comes from the city of Rainesopolis where she is the daughter of the High Priest/Mayor of the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment